Hooley Lane will remain closed at the railway arch until at least 23 September, SES Water says, with traffic lights then in place until 7 October.
The water company has been working at the site since a water main burst on Saturday 25 August.
Asked about the works – and the water main that’s caused the problem – a spokesperson said today:
“The 10” mains pipe which runs beneath the railway bridge on Hooley Lane dates back to 1904 and has been scheduled for replacement as part of our ongoing repair works.
Following the major burst last week, we believe that in order to restore the best possible service to customers with the least disruption and inconvenience, it makes operational sense to lay the new mains whilst we are on site and the road closure is in place.
This is now a major works project. We will continue to keep those customers who are affected fully informed of what we are doing and when.
A project page will be created on our website and it will be updated regularly.
We apologise for the inconvenience that works of this nature do cause but will do all we can to work swiftly, efficiently and safely in order to limit the impact of the project on the local community.”
The project page – which includes the expected dates of the work – can be found here.
A signed diversion route is in place for vehicles, and those on foot can still walk through the arch.
The company has said there will be weekend working “where possible” to get the job done more quickly.