Forty-two volunteers, aged between 15 and 79, were recognised for their commitment to the community at the Mayor of Reigate & Banstead’s annual Volunteer Awards held on 19 July (2019).
Each was presented with a framed certificate by the Mayor at the town hall ceremony. A reception then followed to thank them for their hard work.
The Mayor, Cllr Keith Foreman, said of the award winners:
“I’m thrilled that so many hardworking and dedicated volunteers were nominated by their peers again this year.
My mayoral theme is ‘Working together for our great community’, and the Volunteer Awards is a wonderful way to recognise all those who generously volunteer.
Many of them put in a lot of time and effort into helping others, and it’s this selfless attitude that means so much to many members of our community.
I cannot express my gratitude enough to each and every winner.”
The awards are now in their sixteenth year, with six categories for 2019.
Alisdair Semple, chair of Voluntary Action Reigate & Banstead, which runs the awards along with Reigate & Banstead Borough Council, said:
“Every day, we see the difference that volunteers are making in people’s lives.
Volunteers don’t just think about making the world a better place, they get out there and do it.
The Mayor’s Volunteer Awards is just a small way of saying thank you to our local volunteers for the difference they make.”.
Photos and the full list of award winners are below.
List of award winners
Special Recognition Award
- Jill Twamley MBE, for 50 years of volunteering for St John Ambulance
Long Service Volunteer Awards x 10
- Dave King, volunteer at Radio Redhill at the East Surrey Hospital for 32 years
- Margaret Tilford, volunteer Scout Leader at the Reigate District Scouts since 1973 (45 years)
- Roger Findlay, Downlands Trust for over 15 years
- Farah Spehrenberger, Renewed Hope Trust for 12 years
- Jill Twamley MBE, active member of St John Ambulance for over 50 years
- Ron and Pam Rodgers, joined the Reigate & Redhill Live at Home Scheme over 20 years ago
- Janet Hood, volunteered for Staywell at the Woodhatch Community Centre for over 22 years
- Leslie Cooper, 79-year-old Staywell volunteer at Regent House Community Centre, Horley, for 10 years
- Jean Rodgers, Staywell volunteer at Regent House Community Centre, Horley, for over 10 years
- Wendy Martin, member of The Redhill Corps of Drums & Band for 38 years
Individual Volunteer Awards x12
- Sue Bain, The Children’s Trust
- David Barr, St Catherine’s Hospice
- Ros Simmonds, St Catherine’s Hospice
- Graham Mountain, Reigate District Scouts
- Patricia Neale, Age Concern MRR
- Vivien Carroll, Age Concern MRR
- Helen Hopkins, 9th Reigate Scout Group
- Marcus King, Alzheimer’s Society
- Andrew Buchanan, Reigate Beekeepers Society
- Geoff Knight, Dyscover Limited
- Gabrielle Horwood, Reigate & Redhill Live at Home
- Alan Beaver, Reigate & Redhill Live at Home
Young Volunteer Awards x 6
- Tom Littleford, Orbit Shed
- Megan Vale, Orbit Shed
- Kieron Hook, Staywell
- Ben Spearman-Oxx, YMCA
- Emily Horne, YMCA
- Amelia O’Leary, St Mark’s Community Lunch
Volunteer Team Awards x 8
- Furnistore Men in Sheds, East Surrey
- Skylark Charity Support Network, VARB
- The Rotary Club of Banstead
- Volunteer Befrienders at Reigate & Redhill Live at Home
- Volunteer Drivers at Reigate & Redhill Live at Home
- The Foodbank, St Matthew’s Church
Individual Trustee Awards x 6
- Nigel Leach, Include.org
- Eddie Warans, Reigate District Scouts
- Margarida Littlefair, Stripey Stork
- Freda Clark, Furnistore, East Surrey
- Jenny Rayner, The Lucy Rayner Foundation
- Glenys Mason, St John’s Primary School
Business Awards x 1
- Volt Europe, for supporting the Reigate and Redhill Live at Home scheme for 10 years
Photos via Reigate & Banstead Borough Council