Hard-working volunteers and volunteer teams from across Reigate & Banstead were recognised for their dedication to the community at the Mayor’s annual Volunteer Awards.
Now in its fourteenth year, the event was held on Friday 6 July 2017 at the Town Hall in Reigate, and included 15 awards for individual volunteers, five for young volunteers (aged under 25), ten for volunteer teams, three for trustees and two for businesses.
Six people received special recognition for their longstanding service:
- Maria Speller for 30 years with Radio Redhill
- Geoff Dunstan and his wife Val Dunstan for 35 years and 30 years respectively with Scouting
- Barbara Tyekiff for more than 25 years with St John Ambulance
- Estelle Forsberg and Pat Oakley for 31 years and 26 years respectively with Chipstead Flower Show
The Mayor of Reigate & Banstead, Cllr Roger Newstead presented the winners with framed certificates, with a reception afterwards to thank them for their commitment and contribution to the borough. The Mayor said:
“I want to thank all our volunteers for contributing so greatly to our local area – making the lives of so many other people so much better.
Volunteering on a regular basis is not easy. We all have such busy lives and to dedicate time to others is sometimes tricky. However, I know it is also extremely rewarding and appreciated by those that receive their support.
Our award winners have played an important part in so many peoples’ lives and that’s why they are so deserving of these awards.”
Alisdair Semple, Trustee of Voluntary Action Reigate & Banstead, which runs the awards together with the borough council, said:
“It’s so good to spend an evening celebrating good news stories.
Even though these awards have been running for a number of years now, they still have real freshness and vibrancy. Thank you again to our award winners – your generosity, energy and service are inspirational.
It was particularly engaging to see the young volunteers winning awards for all their hard work and commitment. They are an inspiration to the next generation of volunteers.”
Alisdair added that two Young Volunteer Fairs are taking place in October and November in Redhill and Reigate – details on a VARB webpage.
List of 2017 award winners
- Geoff & Val Dunstan for their work with the Scounting movement, particularly 9th Reigate Group (since retired)
- Ray Connolly, Chairman of Reigate Priory Football Club
- Julie Upson, Dyscover
- Marian Ingram, Home-Start East Surrey
- Jane Crouch a home-visiting volunteer with Home-Start East Surrey
- Maria Speller, Radio Redhill hospital radio station serving East Surrey Hospital
- Patricia Sherren, Chairman of Burgh Heath Residents Association
- Barbara Tyekiff, St John Ambulance
- Dee Marples, Relate shop mid Surrey
- Diane Graham, The Children’s Trust
- Jenny Gunning, The Children’s Trust
- Geoff & Jenny Smith, The Children’s Trust
- Clive Matthews, SSAFA, the Armed Forces Charity
Young Volunteer Awards
- Paul Riley and Ben Lacey, students at Reigate School
- Ben Hoad for his work with Run Reigate
- Andrew Webber for his work with the 17th Reigate Scout Group
- Chelsea Langdale for her work with the Borough Council’s ‘Star for A Night’ production
Volunteer Team Awards
- East Surrey Winter Night Shelter
- Chipstead Flower Show Committee
- Salfords & Sidlow Parish Council
- East Surrey Walking for Health
- Santa Stork by Stripey Stork.
- Age Concern Merstham, Redhill & Reigate
- The Easter Project
- Gatton Park Volunteers
- Redhill Day Club
- Reigate Priory Cricket, Youth Section Management Team
- Richard Burford, Friends of East Surrey Hospital
- John Davis, 17th Reigate Scout Group
- Peter Brooks, Age Concern
- Jon Tabard of JT Snuggs Jewellers in Banstead, for all he has done for Banstead High Street Christmas Lights
- Canon for all they have done to support Stripey Stork
- Geoff Dunstan, 35 years with Scouting, most recently in Lower Kingswood
- Val Dunstan, 30 years with Scouting, most recently in Lower Kingswood
- Maria Speller, 30 years with Radio Redhill
- Barbara Tyekiff, more than 25 years with St John Ambulance
- Estelle Forsberg, 31 years Chipstead Flower Show organising the fruit, vegetable and flower entries
- Pat Oakley, 26 years with Chipstead Flower Show working with local schools on the children’s categories