A phased reopening of activities at council-owned leisure centres in Reigate & Banstead will begin this Saturday, 25 July, following their closure in March as part of the coronavirus lockdown.
Reigate & Banstead Borough Council said in a Facebook post: “A rephased reopening of all three of our leisure centres will begin from this Saturday (25 July).
“Gyms and fitness classes will reopen first at Donyngs, Horley and Tadworth Leisure centres.
“To keep you safe during your visit, things may look and feel slightly different to usual.
“GLL who manages these Better Leisure centres have introduced some new measures including:
- “Reduced equipment within gym areas to allow for social distancing
- “Relocated some fitness classes to sports hall or outdoor areas where available
- “Limited the number of customers allowed within the facility at any one time
- “Introduced pre-booked activity sessions for all customers
- “Enhanced our cleaning regime and provided sanitising materials for members to use on equipment
- “Limited changing room access with members asked to change at home when possible”
More information about available services is on a Better Leisure webpage
In response to a question from a resident about swimming, the council said on Thursday (23 July): “The swimming pools are not yet open, however GLL is working hard to re-open the facilities whilst maintaining the safety of customers and staff.
“Lots of new measures are now in place to maintain social distancing and safe use.
“GLL will monitor usage and flow through the centres before they start to open up further – including the swimming pools.
“Do check the website for updates.”
Although outdoor facilities can already open, Saturday 25 July is the first day that indoor gyms, leisure centres and pools can open under the Government’s coronavirus rules.
The Government has published guidance for operators on how to assess risks and provide services safely.